To request an api_key please enter your information below and agree to the Terms of Service.
An api_key will be sent to the email you provide within 2 business days.
Open 311API Terms of Service
- LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT
- These Terms of Service (“TOS”) govern your participation in the Open311 API (“API”) and your use of API services provided by the City and County of San Francisco (“City”) and data transmitted over such API services (collectively “API Services and Data”). You understand and agree that these TOS constitute a legally binding agreement between you and the City. You represent that you have full authority to accept these TOS. If you are accepting on behalf of your employer or another entity, you represent that you have full authority to bind your employer or such other entity to the TOS.
- In these TOS, “you” or “your” refers to any individual or entity that uses or seeks to use the API Services and Data.
- To participate in the API and use the API Services and Data, You must first complete the Application Development Request Form (“Form”) and submit it to the City. Once the Form has been received by the City and certified to be complete, the City, in its sole and complete discretion, may give You an API key and access to the API Development and Testing Environment. By submitting the Form, You agree to comply with these TOS. Once you have received a valid API key, You may begin developing your application.
- Once You have developed Your application, You must submit it to the City for review and approval. Your final application will not be approved by the City and access rights will not be granted to the Production Environment unless and until You have demonstrated that your application meets or exceeds the City’s published technical and operational requirements. The City has complete discretion to determine whether or not to approve Your application and to place any conditions or restrictions that it deems appropriate on the approval of Your application.
- Access privileges to API services and Data and the API Production Environment are granted at the sole discretion of the City and may be restricted or terminated at any time.
- Usage is currently not limited, but will be monitored. Excessive usage, in the sole and complete discretion of the City, may be grounds for imposing usage caps or for termination of service. If You plan to make heavy use of the API service, please notify the City prior to such use. The City, in its complete discretion, may allow You to avoid limitations on usage.
- The City does not distribute detailed logs or other information regarding API usage except in cases where we have obtained Your permission. The City reserves the right to track and publish aggregate statistics on usage per application.
- When using the API, attribution of the City as the API source is appreciated but not required.
- The City does not endorse or recommend for public use any specific application developed for this API, and any statements implying or claiming that the City has made such an endorsement are strictly prohibited.
- Any practice whereby information that is intended to be transmitted directly between the user and the City is manipulated, edited, redacted or otherwise processed by the application, such that the content or meaning of the information is altered, must be disclosed to the user in a clear and conspicuous manner.
- This API may be used only by means of an access key provided by the City to authorized users who agree to comply with these terms of service. Sharing, distribution, or any other intentional or unintentional disclosure of API keys to unauthorized users is not permitted and constitutes a violation of these TOS.
- You agree to comply with, and use all means available to assist the City in complying with, state and local public records laws.
- Any activity that exceeds Your authorized access privileges to City API services and Data is strictly prohibited.
- You have a continuing obligation to comply with the TOS. Any violation of the TOS may, in the City’s sole and complete discretion, result in the immediate invalidation of Your API key and termination of all access privileges to API services and Data.
- The City does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness or availability of the API services and Data. You understand and agree that Your use of the API services and Data is at Your sole risk and that the API services and Data are made available on an “as is” and “as available” basis without any warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. Should there be an error, inaccuracy or other defect in the API services and Data, You assume the full cost of correcting any such error, inaccuracy or defect. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by You from the City or through or from the API services or data will create any warranty not expressly stated in these TOS.
- In no event shall the City be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or special damages (including without limitation, loss of use, time or data, inconvenience, commercial loss, lost profits or savings, or the cost of computer equipment and software), to the full extent that such may be disclaimed by law, or for any claim against You by any third party. In no event shall the City be liable for any claim, including claims by third parties, for loss or damages arising from Your use of the API services and Data.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, You shall indemnify and save harmless the City, from any claim, loss, damage, injury or liability of any kind, nature and description (including, without limitation, incidental and consequential damages, court costs, attorney’s fees and costs of investigation), that arise directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from Your use of the API services and Data. In addition to Your obligation to indemnify the City, You specifically acknowledge and agree that You have an immediate and independent obligation to defend the City from any claim which actually or potentially falls within this indemnification provision, even if the allegations are or may be groundless, false or fraudulent, which obligation arises at the time such claim is tendered to You by the City and continues at all times thereafter.
- The City retains the right to modify these TOS at any time by posting such modifications on this page. Any modification is effective upon posting, unless otherwise indicated. The City will make every attempt to provide reasonable advance notice of any such changes to developers who have been granted access to API Services and Data. Notice will be provided to the current email address provided in the Application Development Request Form by the developers. For this reason, developers are required to provide current contact information to the City and to update any information that changes.
- No modification to the terms and obligations of these TOS, nor any waiver of any rights, shall be effective except by an instrument in writing signed by You and the City, and the waiver of any breach or default shall not constitute a waiver of any other right hereunder or any subsequent breach or default.
- These TOS contain the entire agreement and understanding between You and the City with respect to the subject matter hereof and completely replace and supersede all prior agreements, understanding and representations. In no event will any additional terms or conditions be effective unless expressly accepted by the City in writing.
- If any provision of these TOS is held to be invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, then the remaining provisions will nevertheless remain in full force and effect.
- You agree that, if the City does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy contained in these TOS (or that the City has the benefit of under any applicable law), this will not be taken to be a formal waiver of the City’s rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to the City. Any waiver of any provision of these TOS will be effective only if the City expressly states in a signed writing that it is waiving a specified provision.
CITY POLICIES AND REQUIREMENTS REGARDING USE OF API SERVICES
CONSEQUENCES OF VIOLATING THE TERMS OF SERVICE
EXCLUSION OF WARRANTIES
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY